1869 was “the year” for the establishment of Blair, today a town of 8,000 people located approximately 25 miles north of Omaha on the Missouri River. The undeveloped land was selected by the Sioux City and Pacific Rail Road as the site for tracks to cross the Missouri River. It was platted by the railroad to provide sites for industrial and retail development as well as homes and support services for railroad employees.
The town literally grew overnight with new construction and older buildings carried overland from surrounding communities. Before year end there were churches, a bank, a newspaper, a hotel, as well as dry good and hardware stores. The population had grown to such an extent that it challenged Fort Calhoun, a neighboring community to relinquish its position as county seat. Blair won and has held this title ever since.
Today Blair has an active main street and is known for its community spirit and friendly small town atmosphere. It is the site of several agricultural and service industries and is home for many Omaha commuters. With excellent schools and houses of all ages and in moderate price ranges it is a popular residential option for many families.
Visitor/Resident Information: http://blairnebraska.com/
City of Blair Information: http://www.blairnebraska.org/